There are so many things that make me happy. My life completely changed when I became a dad. And I can honestly say I have loved and continue to love every single minute. Even the more difficult, testing times… it’s all part of this crazy journey. I am a big believer in the power of gratitude and giving thanks. I do it often... be it in my head, verbally, face to face, via meditation, or you can do it to a God of your choice. It’s all the same.
"Gratitude is an immensely powerful force that we can use to expand our happiness, create loving relationships, and even improve our health" says the Chopra Center.
I don't want to get all 'new age' on you, but practising gratitude has been amazing for me. It kind of puts everything into perspective. If you're reading this then you probably have SO MUCH to be thankful for. You have internet connection allowing you to communicate with the world, you probably also have a child, a family or you are on your journey to achieving that.
I made a list of everything I am thankful for. From the smallest things that may seem insignificant to the everyday things we take for granted.
WHAT AM I THANKFUL FOR?
- That first sip of coffee in the morning (preferably being drunk in peace whilst my three year is old is still in bed)
- Having a roof over our heads that we have slowly made our own.
- Being away from the norm. Usually meaning the feeling of sand underneath my feet and the warmth from the sun on my face. Seeing my little boy run back and forth into the sea.
- Resting my nose on my son's head and sniffing his hair for as long as he lets me.
- Having a soul mate who has seen and experienced so much of life with me and still to experience so much more.
- Having stocked cupboards full of food.
- Getting lovely messages from followers of the blog.
- Friday. Home time.
- When my son decides to stay in bed til gone 6am.
- Hot, running water.
- My bed and the thick, lovely winter duvet.
- That feeling after a workout AND you’ve eaten well all week (a rarity).
- Seeing how my family love my son.
- Having our health for however long the universe allows.
- A True Grace fig candle. (Seriously, you need this in your life)
- When I am feeling lavish and make a purchase from Reiss.
- Doing a huge online order from Zara Kids.
- That first bite of a Chinese takeaway (not so much the feeling afterwards!)
- Dancing at a concert (most probably Lady Gaga) and absolutely losing my shit and forgetting who I am for 2 hours.
- Hearing my son say “Daddy cuddle…” in his silly, little, perfect voice.
- Knowing what an impact my husband has on the kids he works with at school.
- Having dreams and hopes for the future knowing we are lucky enough to have the freedom and potential to achieve them.
- Seeing the bottom of my washing basket for all of five minutes.
- Waving my son off as he skips into pre-school happy to see and play with his friends after a wobbly first few months.
- My friendships.
- Coming home from work and having my boy run to me shouting “Daddy, daddy, daddy!” Or him running AWAY from me wanting me to chase him and wrestle...!
What are you thankful for? Make a list. You'll be pleased you did :)